In recent times Engineering has gained immense popularity amongst students. The number of students wanting to do a professional Bachelor’s degree is on the rise. Boys and girls alike, wish to do engineering.
With increasing demand for seats in colleges, finding seats in colleges is becoming more and more difficult. Making the wrong choice of college is not something that anyone wants to do. Hence, the decision of college should be made wisely and patiently.
There are a lot of important factors that one should look into before choosing a college. One of the main factors is choosing your college based on the stream you want to do and not your stream based on the college you get into. This is one big mistake that most students tend to commit.
How to choose the right engineering college?
Infrastructure: This is the most important factor while choosing a college. Infrastructure does not only mean a good looking building. It is the measure of available space and facilities with relation to the intake capacity. It includes classroom, administrative building, workshop, computer labs, various laboratories etc.
Faculty: The infrastructure cannot be the only choosing factor when deciding a college. After having a sufficient infrastructure it is the faculty that makes it useful, otherwise it will be a school without a teacher. Always have a look on college faculty which includes professors, reader, lecturer, teacher-student ratio, visiting faculty, teaching experience etc.
Facilities: This is another important factor that you have to keep in your mind. Facilities provided by college assist you during your college period. This includes library, internet, intranet, hostels, seminar halls, dispensary, student clubs, gym etc.
Placements: This is the most important factor while deciding a college. It does not mean that it is the first and last criteria to choose a college. Placements of a college depend upon many factors like its infrastructure, faculty, facilities provided by college to its students, college rank, past performance of the students in company, and last but not the least individual talent and personality and many more factors. Have a look on past placement record of college, branch wise, as well as company wise. So keep all the things in mind while deciding a college.
Extracurricular activities: This is also one of the factors that should be taken into account because “all work and no play makes jack a dull boy” indeed. This stands true because not only do you have to study but you also have to survive in a competitive environment and for that you have to be a develop an all-round personality. Extracurricular activities play a very important role in your personality development. So have a look about extra activities provided by college like, annual function, sport function, students club, seminars and workshops, industrial training, social activities, NCC, NSS etc.
Location: This factor does not play a very important role but if it is nearby any industrial or software hub then it may be slightly useful to you as far as your industrial training and placement is concerned but keep this factor at last.
How to choose the right engineering stream?
- Go for interest, not scope: Scope for a field keeps changing with time, new trends keep coming up every few years. The reality is, every branch has good scope and opportunities if you perform well in it. Contrary to this, if you take up a branch just based on its job prospects and lack interest in it, you’ll end up getting nowhere. So it is very important to go for a branch that is of your interest.
- Branch vs College: It is that time in your life, where you have to choose from a platter.Whether you choose college A over college B or branch X over branch Y should not be a random decision and instead be based on research on these colleges and the electives they offer under each course. Run through the college websites and the course material they offer under the branch you aspire for to make the right decision.
- Specialization is good: Engineering provides opportunity to specialize. Choosing one from the various types of engineering disciplines is not an easy job. Digging deeper and knowing more about every branch can help you in making the right choice. It is the same as taking a straight way to your destination or taking roundabouts to get to the same place. Clearer the approach, better will be the results. For example, if you are interested in cars, you might as well want to take up Automobile Engineering instead of Mechanical.
- Work life after graduation: It is critical to understand what kind of professional work is expected out of you once you take up a job. For instance, Civil Engineering means a lot of field-work and if you are not suited for that, you better not choose Civil Engineering in the first place.
- Options for Post-graduation: If you aspire to do post-graduation, and have some ideas already, it might be a good idea to do a quick check on the opportunities for the post-graduation.
Engineering college rankings can be found on the QuickSearch website.