Dance is one such art form whose history is very hard to comprehend. Since time immemorial, dance has been followed across various human cultures and traditions. What makes dance such a unique art form is the hundreds of variations that it has gone through over the years. Though initially, dance means folk dance, today, the list is endless. However, if you are someone who is looking to joining a dance school, then here are some options that you can choose from:
1) Bharathnatyam: This is a dance form that is said to have originated in the Indian subcontinent, more specifically in TamilNadu in South India. Mostly performed by women, this dance form is said to express Hindu religious themes and also spiritual ideas in the form of songs that are supposed to be that of worship. These ideologies are derived from Sanskrit texts and this dance form is said to be the oldest classical tradition of India. What sets this dance form aside from the rest is the sophisticated vocabulary of sign language based on facial expressions. There are a lot of institutes in India that teach Bharathnatyam and for someone who wants to experience true Indian culture, this is a must try.
2) Hip Hop: Also known as street dance, this form of dance is essentially styled in accordance with the hip-hop culture that was all the rage in the United States during the 1970s. The main characteristic of this dance form is the styles of breaking, popping and locking which were all moves that were executed very close to the ground. Breaking involves dancing within a circular shaped dance space formed by spectators. Locking, on the other hand, included dancers holding and freezing their positions. Popping, however, is based on the technique where a dancer contracts and relaxes his/her muscles to cause a jerk in their body. This jerk is called as a pop or a hit.
3) Tap Dance: A personal favorite, tap dance is not only a dance form but also doubles as a musical art form as well. Tap dance is characterized by a tapping sound. This sound is produced by the metal plates that are attached to the base i.e. the heel of the dancer’s shoes. These plates when tapped against a hard surface which is said to create the percussive sound. Though this art form originated in the African American regions, it has also experienced considerable interest in India.
4) Belly Dancing: There was a point in time when Belly Dancing was the “it” dance form. After the release of Shakira’s album, everyone wanted to belly dance. This dance form originated in the Middle East and Arab countries and quickly gained recognition throughout the world. It was also a hit in the 18th and 19th centuries and was used to romanticize images of the Ottoman Empire. This dance form is a must try for those who are not afraid to experiment with their personality and body as well. Though it is called Belly dance, it involves utmost coordination of the upper torso region of your body.
5) Ballet: Ballet is one of the dance forms that is considered to be timeless. It originated in the fifteenth century in Italy and evolved as a simple performance dance into a fully fledged concert kind of a dance performance. This dance form is also said to be extremely complicated than most other dance forms as it involves acrobatic movements and precision as well. However, this a very elegant and feminine dance form and is a must try for those who want to express their feminine side through art.
6) Salsa: Last but not least is Salsa. Though it originated in Cuba, this dance form is recognized in different parts of the world as well. This is more a couple dance and is best preferred if you have a partner to dance with. Salsa dancers usually use Latin American music to perform their act because of how upbeat the music is. If you are one of those couples who are passionate about dancing, then this might just about be the dance form for you!
If you are looking to learn any of the above dance forms in Raipur, then you can find a list of some institutes here: