In today’s day and age, children are being sent to schools and playschools at a younger age than before. This is more of a newer trend than before as babies and children are being exposed to the world at a tender age of 2 years. While some parents feel like it is a necessity that children attend play school, some others are quite skeptical of the concept. Some others believe that play schools put more pressure on the children with respect to not just academics but social skills as well.
The concept of a playschool is designed so that around 10-20 children spend about 2 hours a day under the supervision of trained adults or teachers. According to psychologists, the supervisor-child ratio should ideally be around 1:10. Psychologists also claim that playschools have much more to offer apart from the development of academic skills. If approached with the right mindset, it is said to not only enhance the social development of the child but also help the child build a sense of self-esteem and self-confidence.
Here are some of the reasons why you should consider sending your child to a playschool:
- Fun learning: The essence of playschools is to make learning a fun process for children. As opposed to schools where a set curriculum is to be followed, playschools are flexible with respect to learning. Though most parents can teach their children, group activities at home are not possible. Thus, here, playtime is guided so that it becomes a learning experience. The basic nursery rhymes and lessons are taught as well. But the underlying concept is to make the child develop self-help skills. For example, by teaching the child how to look after a toy, the child will, in turn, try to implement it practically in its life as well.
- Social Interaction: The main advantage that playschools have is that the child gets a chance to interact and communicate with other children of the same age group. By this, the child will develop a sense of social interaction and will also get sufficient knowledge about the society with time. This is also a chance for the child to improve their mental ability and growth at a faster pace than others.
- Distracts the child from separation anxiety: It is no surprise that the first day of school for a child is usually a traumatic experience. The child is sent into the outer world away from the safety of home. According to research, playschools are said to minimize separation anxiety to a great extent. The child is so engrossed in entertaining and creative activities that the prospect of communicating with strangers does not seem so daunting after all. In this way, the child starts to slowly become independent and starts to concentrate on the learning process.
- Prepares the child for school: Playschools is almost like a foundation or base for the child to face school-life. It helps train the child and works on the child’s attitude towards people and the outside world as well. More than anything, it subconsciously gives the child an idea of what to expect from school academically as well.
- Indirectly benefits the parents: Not only does the child benefit from attending a playschool, but so do the parents. The playschool gives the parents an opportunity to interact with other parents which widens their horizons with respect to the different approaches to parenting. It also helps them observe and interact with other children which in turn acts as a reference for them to judge their own child’s behavior as well. They can also approach the teachers and supervisors to discuss any problems that they might have with the child at home or in general.
However, it is important to ensure that the playschool that you pick for your child must be one that recruits supervisors and teachers who are well trained in the field of child development. If the person is not well-equipped, then they will not know what to expect from the child or how to ensure that the development of the child is all around. Thus, it is best that you do your research well before you enroll your child in a playschool. For those of you who are looking for playschools in Raipur, you can find them here: