Bored of usual gym routines and aerobic movements? Up for something more exciting, entertaining and challenging? Then ZUMBA is the ideal fitness regime for you.
Zumba is a dance fitness program created by the Colombian dancer and choreographer Alberto Perez. Zumba involves dance and aerobic elements. It is a composition of hip-hop, soca, samba, salsa, merengue and mambo. It also includes more fitness oriented moves like Squats and lunges.
Whether for weight loss or for maintaining your overall health and fitness, Zumba classes are the most efficient. Apart from helping get rid of all the excess flesh Zumba helps tone your body and improve flexibility and improve muscle strength.
Studies have shown Zumba to be effective to help release muscle spasms and provide temporary relief to arthritis patients.
Zumba has plenty of benefits associated with it:
- Weight Loss: This extremely fun and energetic workout incorporates a lot of routines that will help improve your cardiovascular system, which is extremely beneficial in losing unwanted calories. An average person will burn around 600 to 1000 calories in a 1 hour Zumba session.
- Body Toning: Another benefit of this workout is that by practicing it, you’ll be able to tone your entire body. As during a Zumba class, you are supposed to move your body to the rhythm of the music, your muscles will be engaged to make some specific moves like squats and twists, thus allowing you to tone your entire body
- Stress Reliever: Zumba is the perfect stress reliever. The upbeat moves specific to this type of workout favor the release of mood improving endorphins, and by joining a Zumba class, you’ll surely be able to feel your worries melt away as you lose yourself in the music.
- Co-ordination: Zumba classes help improve your coordination skills and make you more synchronized in your daily routines. This helps people as they age.
- Mood Elevator: A lot of research has discovered that exercising can help you produce mood-improving endorphins. Zumba is considered to be also one of the best ways to fight depression and a lot of studies have supported the fact that you must participate in cardiovascular exercise such as dancing (Zumba is a highly dance oriented workout routine) in order for the highest amounts of endorphins to be released in your body.
- Greater Confidence: Zumba is a great way to boost your confidence. All the dancing that a Zumba workout requires, will help lower your inhibitions, you will improve your posture, have better coordination and will feel good about yourself. These changes will reflect immediately on your mood and on your appearance. Someone who feels good also has greater confidence and appreciates themselves more.
- Revives Metabolism: When you build lean muscle mass and get your body used to the calorie burning that Zumba provides, you boost your metabolism. That means your body is better at burning calories, even when you are at rest. A sluggish metabolism makes it hard to achieve weight loss goals, so Zumba is a great way to get yours humming.
- It’s Fast: They say that time flies when you’re having fun. That makes Zumba your go to choice if you count the seconds the entire time you’re exercising. If slogging through your workout is sometimes more than you can handle, try Zumba for all the benefits at a fast paced tempo that will make an hour fly by in seconds.
- Helps build body awareness: We all know that feeling after a new workout, you’re usually sore in places you didn’t know you had. When you do Zumba, you gain awareness of your entire body because there isn’t an inch that doesn’t get attention when you dance. This awareness is great for keeping your progress on track and noticing when certain parts of your body need more attention.
Some diet tips to accompany with Zumba to obtain maximum benefits:
- Stay Hydrated: Drinking plenty of water during a Zumba session helps re hydrate your body and re-energize body muscles. This helps you continue your workout in an effective way.
- Boosting your metabolism with a nutritional breakfast: A choice of high fiber, high carbohydrate, low fat, lean protein and highly nutritional breakfast is essential. This not only gives you an energetic start to the day but will provide you to enough energy so that muscle wear and fatigue is reduced. Some good breakfast ideas are, oatmeal with skimmed milk or egg white with brown bread toast.
- Healthy snacking: Suffering from hunger pangs? Eat, but eat healthy. Bite into a crunchy apple or a chewy granola bar. These low fat munchies will help you cut out on junk and provide you with good wholesome nutrition.
Do’s and Don’ts before and after a Zumba session:
- Always eat something light before your session. Never a good idea to workout on an empty stomach.
- Never drink large quantities of water in between your session. Have small sips at regular intervals. This helps prevent stomach cramps.
- Change your t-shirt immediately after your workout. Sweat is bad for your muscles after stopping your workout.
- Wait for 30 minutes after your Zumba session before you eat your next meal. This time will allow body systems to return to normal functioning and will help in good post workout meal digestion.
- Always wear comfortable and stretchy attire to your Zumba class. Wearing denims or uncomfortable attire might hinder movements during the workout.
So, what are you still waiting for? Find the ideal Zumba class and join right away so you don’t miss out on all the health benefits and most certainly the FUN!
Zumba Fitness and Aarogya Mandir are a couple of fitness centres offering Zumba in Raipur. For their and contact details of other Zumba centres one can check with QuickSearch